From:
Tim Lider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:33:30 -0700
Hello,

< On 11:45 PM 6/15/98 -0500, Jeffrey Delzer blasted something about >

>> >From what I have heard, you cannot use compression on a FAT32 drive,
>> so that would rule out DriveSpace on Win98.  For me, that rules out
>> Win98.  :)

Lance,

  If you want to use compression in Windows 98, just do not convert the
hard drives to FAT-32. Although you will be losing the benefits of FAT-32,
one of which is smaller cluster sizes. Also remember you do not need to
make a hard drive formatted with FAT-32 in Windows 98, it's recommended,
but you do not need to.

>Not true. Using FAT32 does not rule out using compression, although with
>hard drive prices falling as fast as they are, I'd recommend additional
>or bigger drives before using compression.

Jeff,

  Excellent recommendation.  In fact I also recommend larger hard drives
before compressing. Many users do enjoy getting more space, but there is a
hazard of using DriveSpace or any other drive compression program. I will
not really get into the reasons, but the main reason is that most of the
data is in one big file, DRVSPACE.000 for example, and if a virus hit the
hd and kills the file system, the data is toast.

Have a good one Lance and Jeff,

Tim Lider
Advanced Data Solutions              ICQ: 7562541
Web Site: http://www.adv-data.com E-Mail: Mailto:[log in to unmask]