From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:11:44 -0800
Hi,
I'll cut right to the chase. System is ABIT BX6, PII233, 64MB, Adaptec
2940UW. I originally had a 2GB IDE and a 4.5GB UW IBM,
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/prod/9esprod.htm drives in my
system, working fine. I purchased two Seagate 4.5GB ST34501W,
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st34501w.html drives and removed
the IDE.  They are 68 pin SE drives. I tried to set it up as ID 0, Seagate,
ID 1 Seagate, ID 2, IBM, with the IBM having the termination jumper
installed. They are cabled in that order from host to IBM, Granite Digital
cable,  All are recognized in the Adaptec BIOS scan, and I removed the IDE
from the Abit Bios.  All have PC Power & Cooling Bay coolers.
I started to try to install DOS 6.22 initially with the transfer rate at 40.
The idea was to install DOS, System Commander, then Win98, plus what ever
else I got around to. I got many error messages or no activity at all while
trying to install DOS or formatting the drive. I reset the rate to 10MB
transfer and was able to get things installed, but not without some trouble.
Windows took over two minutes to boot and was not pleasant to use. I never
was able to get Office97 installed. I tried to set up a FAT32 swap partition
on the second Seagate with Partition Magic 5.0. The partition was made, but
every time I tried to set my virtual memory, windows would report the drive
as being 0 MB. I also tried to set the jumpers on the drives to spin up from
the host to take some strain off the power supply, 235W, marginal I know. So
with many different configurations, I have had no luck getting all this
going.
My questions are,
1. The Seagate have a jumper for Term. Power, if they aren't terminated, do
I leave this jumper on? There are three choices for settings. I can find no
explanation for their function. They are Term. Power from drive, default,
Term. Power to SCSI bus, Term. Power from SCSI bus (position A), and Term.
Power to SCSI bus and Drive.
2. Should I use  the motor start from host option?
3. Is Dos unable to run at the fast transfer rate? Or is there some other
possible problem?
4. Should I install the drives one at a time and re-jumper as I go to try to
get things to work?
This is really driving me crazy. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed. I
know SCSI can be fussy, but...
Thanks for you help. Direct replies gladly accepted.
Brad Loomis,
Los Angeles, CA

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html