From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:22:11 -0400
Daniel's post:-

<<<<This is my first build and have just encountered a problem.
I just installed the Heatsink/Fan. AMD AM2 with retail heatsink. I snapped both
clips in place. The AMD video says that I should pull the black lever down and
snap it into place. It wont budge. I think that if I put any more force on it,
it will break. Any insight would be greatly appreciated>>>>

Hi,

good you did not force things through since ALL computer parts(except possibly floppy drive cables) are designed to go oneway only and with minimum of pressure/force.

having said this it appears that AMD have done very drastic modifications (in addition to it having 940 pins instead of the traditional 939 pins) to heatsink/fan mounting on to their AMD AM2 and that only certain types of heatsink/fan can be mounted. if you are interested pl go through reviews in anandtech, toms hardware, for this processor.

the following URL emphasises this aspect of the processor and also gives a list of compatible heatsink/fan.

  http://tinyurl.com/k8tqz

so if you post your " retail heatsink/fan" make/model and also your mobo make/model and the URL of the "AMD video" mentioned by you i am sure you will get more suggestions from list members.

HTH and good building-----Venkat

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com