Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:02:30 -0400

Deborah
 Choose #5 COMMAND PROMPT ONLY which will reboot the computer and start with the C:>\ prompt. At this C:>\ type: SCANREG, press spacebar and than press backslash key and type RESTORE and hit enter. (Be sure to space after typing SCANREG). This \ symbol is called a switch and the switch plus RESTORE tells the scanreg program to restore a register file. The command should look like this: C:>\SCANREG /RESTORE

After you press enter, the program runs and will bring up a window with with 4 choices. With the arrow key, Select the earliest date and than press enter. When restored a window message says you have "Restored a Good Registry". You'll see a restart button, press enter and the computer will reboot.

This will restore a register file before your problem. (hopefully)
 If this doesn't correct your problem perhaps the easiest way is to reinstall the Win98 system.
 Mike Michel

Deborah Krause  wrote:
Subject: [PCBUILD] Windows start-up and shut down problem

I am a novice and running Windows 98SE. When starting Windows, the screen stops at the page where you have the option to load 1 for Normal, 3 for safe etc.  I just choose normal and it starts up ok then.  (It never used to stop there so don't know what I have done to it).  This happens every time when I start the computer.

Also, although the computer shuts down ok, the keyboard light remains on so I have to turn it off at the rear of the tower as well to get that light to go off

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml