From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 15:29:40 -0800
You probably have a bunch of cookies, file fragments, spyware, adware, tracking ware, and/or bloatware.  No one seems to realize the junk that is installed and/or left behind from surfing the internet and downloading and installing programs.  The cumulative effect of this stuff is a slower PC.

I have even refused and hidden MS Updates because they would never apply to my uses and/or they have known bugs associated with them.

If you do not use a cleaner like CCleaner or others after every websession, start now.  I use InPrivate browsing on IE-10 to reduce cookie traffic.  I run SAS in SafeMode every so often.  I use Glary, cleanup in IE Tools, SlimCleaner and others.

Look at PC Decrapifier to help find the pre-loaded stuff, trial versions, etc. that come with PCs.  Type in "What is _____.exe" in DuckDuckGo before you delete stuff.  Don't use Google unless it is last resort.  Turn off third-party Auto-updates for programs you hardly or never use.  Find "AutoRuns" at MS Sysinternals website.  This will tell you what is running, where and how many resources it uses.  View Task Manager often to find resource hogs.

My 2005 XP Laptop (2G RAM)still screams and our "new" 7 Win Laptops (4G RAM) run awesome.

Good luck and clean that poor computer.
Dave Thompson