From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:28:53 -0500
I would first disconnect everything except the video card, monitor, and
floppy drive with only one memory stick installed.  See if it will boot or
at least get to the BIOS.  If so then start adding devices (probably
starting with the hard drive since it should be good).

This will let you narrow down the possible problem areas.

Doug

At 2/17/2004 03:24 PM, Dick Mason wrote:

>A friend brought his emachine 333 to me to format the HD.  He said he had
>deleted "a lot of files" because it was running very slow.  His O/S is
>Win98.  I tried to boot the machine and it would not go beyond the emachine
>bootup screen.  It would not boot from a floppy and I could not get the
>bios to come up.  I tried the HD in another machine and, after reformatting
>and reloading an os, it is fine.  I put the drive back into his machine
>with the same problem.  I checked the memory by putting in a known good
>stick with the same problem.  Does this mean the motherboard is toast?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml