From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:45:32 -0700
If the hard drive failure was caused by a power surge (or a sudden power
supply failure), there could be a number of other components that were
also affected. When the computer first starts, try to get into the BIOS
and see if the drives are recognized. You may need a new motherboard and
maybe even other parts. Otherwise, at a minimum, the floppy drive should
be recognized and usable. Double check the data cable and power connection.

If the drives are not recognized, I would consider disconnecting
everything from the motherboard except CPU & RAM. Leaving the keyboard
and monitor connected, I would then determine if the initial POST is
successfully completed. If it does not POST, I would disconnect
everything and rebuild the computer one component at a time with testing
at each step. There are several sites on line concerning building a
computer that will take you through it one step at a time. It takes time
but sometimes it is the only way to find a problem component.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Christopher Gagné wrote:
> Here is the problem. I have a HP Pavillion 553w. The hard drive went on it
> and today I replaced it with a used one that had Win 98 on it. Because the
> new hard drive had all kinds of junk on it I used the FDisk utility to clean
> everything off from it. My overall plan is to install Windows Server 2003
> software. The problem at hand is that neither the floppy drive or CD-ROM
> drive are being read. If I place my WinXP home CD in and turn on the
> computer it quickly shows the HP logo and then goes to a black screen with
> just a cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I have also tried
> using a MS-DOS v6 floppy and a WinXP boot floppy and get the same result.
>

> The question: how do I go about formatting the hard drive now?
>

> Thank you in advance for those who respond!!
>

> Chris
>

>   _____
>

> Christopher J. Gagné
> Deputy Director of Operations
>
> Southeast Communications Center
>
> 3200 Chartres Street
> New Orleans, Louisiana 70117
>
> http://www.SCCNOLA.net <http://www.sccnola.net/>
>
> Phone: 504-754-1153
>
> Fax: 504-754-1154
>
> Cell: 504-485-9183
>

>   _____
>
> This email may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not
> waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying
> of this or the information it contains by other than the intended recipient
> is unauthorized. If you receive this email in error, please advise us
> immediately by phone, fax, or email and destroy.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml