From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:55:22 -0700
At 12:13 PM 5/31/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Doug Kit wrote:
> >I am presently using a Microsoft wireless 802.11b base station (MN-500)
>]
>When purchasing any type of wired/wireless hardware, not all products are
>created equal nor may they be compatible with certain hardware/software
>situations. Do the necessary research and purchase the best you can buy.
>Don't let the "I got a good deal" put a bad taste in your mouth when you
>find out it wasn't all that good. The bottom line is important and so is the
>performance of the hardware.
>
>David Gillett wrote:
> >The physical location of the Ap is probably not as important as the
> >location, shape/type, and, for some types, the *orientation* of the
> >antenna(e).
>
> >I have no complaints except it's weak signal 1 1/2 floors from the
> >base station,
>
>Dave made a good observation on the subject. Again, experimenting with
>placement may help. I would try putting it as high as possible. As for
>boosting the signal, one response was to build "parabolic antennas" Which
>for the most part seems reasonable however, there may be some point where
>the signal is not omni directional which may defeat the purpose. 1 1/2
>floors from the base may be the limit of your equipment. Check the specs of
>your base to see what the signal output is or should be.

I recently installed a Netgear 'G' router so I could put two of my systems
upstairs. One thing I found is that I got better signal strength by
adjusting the antenna on the upstairs systems so they stick out horizontal
rather than vertical. Definitely play with orientation and position.

Russ Poffenberger
NPTest, Inc.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>