From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:16:51 -0500
At 12/4/99 04:25 PM , Mark Rode wrote:

>Is this a peer to peer Windows Network.

No, this is a college campus network with LAN/WAN setup with many servers.

>Is he viewing other Win9x  boxes...or is he viewing NT boxes ?

Probably a combination of each.  He may be seeing only one or the other OS.
He just knows that others are visible under Neighborhood so he knows the
adapter must be connecting.

>You mention mail....are you using a proxy server. on this box...on another
>box..if so which one?

On the campus they connect directly to the campus mail server and not
through a proxy. I don't think that proxies are required anywhere.

>What protocol are you using ....TCP/IP ? any others ?..is DUN installed on
>his PC?

He is using TCPIP along with DUN. Doesn't have other protocols installed.

>Go to control panel / network and tell us what you see...then click on the
>properties box for the Protocols and tell us what you see in the
>configuration boxes.

Will get that info as soon as I can get it.  From what he has told me, all
the settings under Network are what was specified by the school at the
beginning of the school year.

I should mention that before Thanksgiving week break, the system was
working fine.  I think that their DHCP IP address leases expire after 5
days, so this is the first time he has had to obtain a new IP address since
the beginning of school.

Doug