From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:45:36 -0500
Doug Simmons wrote:

> Can Partition Magic "change" a primary partition to an extended partition
> without loosing data?
>
> I have not seen anything in the manual that says yes or no and don't like
> to be playing with the program if I don't need to.

One way that I've used successfully to change partition types goes like
this:

1. Free up as much space as you can on the drive that needs to be
'changed'.

2. If the drive already contains an extended partition, skip to Step 3.
Otherwise, in the free space, create the extended partition, however
small it may initially have to be.

3. Exit Partition Magic (PM) and move as much data as possible from the
primary partition to the extended partition.

then expand the extended partition as much as possible.

5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until all of the data is moved from the primary
partition to the extended partition.

6. Back in PM, delete the primary partition and expand the extended
partition to take up as much space as you'd like.

There may be easier and more elegant ways, but this has worked for me.

Jeff Delzer

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>