From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:19:28 -0500
At 17:17 02/05/08, Dianne Erdos-Rush wrote:
>I have two drives installed: an LG DVD drive D: (GSA H22N) and
>a Samsun CD drive E: (SW232B). Also had an old version of Nero
>Suite that has been working just fine for years, as have the
>two drives.
>
>I was upgrading to NERO 8 suite...  I deleted the old version,
>in anticipation of downloading the new version, when suddenly,
>the computer no longer recognizes the two drives. They appear
>in the Device Manager with yellow question marks on them. OK,
>I think, maybe this is a driver issue of some sort.  So I ask
>the device manager to re-iinstall the drivers, no go. I go to
>every web site I can find to download the drivers for them,
>only find "firmware" (what is the difference?).  I try to
>down load it, and get the strange message: "None of Optical
>Disk Drive" and with the other one: "Drive not found".
>Help, Is it something in the BIOS I need to adjust?
>
>They appear in the Device Manager with yellow question marks on
>them.  OK, I think, maybe this is a driver issue of some sort.
>So I ask the device manager to re-iinstall the drivers, no go.
>I uninstall the drives and ask the computer to re-recognize them,
>no go...
>
>I am running XP home.

Hi Dianne

Loosing the CD and DVD drives is apparently a common problem
with Win2k, WinXP, and Vista after you uninstall CD/DVD
burning programs. (See the Microsoft KB article at
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/>.

Here's the Registry fix described in the Microsoft article.
I don't see that you have anything to loose by trying this.
It worked for me (although I don't recall having the yellow
"!" in Device Manager) and didn't cause any side effects.
I figure there's at least a fifty fifty chance that you have
this problem and the registry fix will solve it.

Open Regedit (use the Start, Run menu) and navigate to

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFCl-087002BEl0318}

(Note that HKLM is short for HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE.)

In the left pane of the Regedit window, highlite this key by left
clicking (once) on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFCl-087002BEl0318}.

In the right pane of the regedit viewer you'll find two subkeys
called "UpperFilters" & "LowerFilters". Delete the values for
these subkeys. (For example, right click on Upperfilters and choose
Modify from the menu that appears. In the small data window that
appears, drag your cursor to highlite everything (all the numbers)
and hit the delete key. You should be left only with 0000. Do the
same thing for Lowerfilters.) Close Regedit and reboot the computer
so that the changes that you made to the registry take effect.

This problem is common enough that Nero versions 7 and 8 install
a utility that runs every time you boot. This "filter check"
detects and corrects the upper and lower filter problem.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>