From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:43:51 -0500
There are three types of programs.

The first are self-contained types that run whererever they are located.
These can be moved from location to location with nary a care.

The second use files such as data or configuration files that are
traditionally stored in the same directory that the executable code is
stored in.  When you move the executable, it (or a shortcut) may not be able
to find those files, since they are in a new location.  You can usually
correct this by editing the shortcut to show the new location of the
executable file and/or the files that it uses.

The third kind of program uses an installer to set it up.  It may change the
registry and use shared files and libraries.  Now, when you move the files
( so, for example, they are now on "D:" instead of "C:"), such as when you
took your main drive and made it an accessory drive, then the program may
not be able to locate the files that it needs to run.  This kind of program
must be re-installed in the new location.

I suspect, but do not know for sure, that "Quickbooks"  is a program of the
second or third kind, which might be the cause of your error message.

You can try to move your larger drive to make it the boot drive for the
Dell, and the computer may boot and run using this drive.  However, the
drivers on the larger drive may not be appropriate for the Dell.  (This does
not address operating system and/or software licensing issues.)  It is worth
a try.  Then, try to update the drivers to match the hardware on the Dell.
It is possible that Windows will object, however,  because it sees that it
is on a computer for which it is not licensed, i.e. the hardware is entirely
different on the Dell than it was on the eMachine.

The easiest solution may be to install "Quickbooks" on the boot drive and
use the larger drive for storing data.

Dean Kukral