From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:38:32 -0800
On  6 Jul 98 at 17:13, Rev. Wendell Ramlogan wrote:

>   I'm thinking about upgrading and need an opinion on an INTEL
> PENTIUM II 233MHz, CYRIX or AMD  processor. I want to run NT and
> windows 98, what should I look for?

  It's hard to try to answer this without some idea of what you've
already got and what you're willing to spend.  [Since the processor
options you list all feature economy, I'm guessing that your funds
are limited.]

  There are a number of good boards out that support AMD and/or Cyrix
processors.  However, the Cyrix processors tend to draw more power
than some boards like, and some of the AMD models have odd voltage
settings, and so you cannot just assume that these CPUs will work in
any Pentium-MMX board.
  Things are simpler on the PII front, where (so far) any "Slot 1"
CPU (PII, Celeron) works in any "Slot 1" board.  [Although the 350
and 400 MHz PIIs require a 100 MHz system bus, which only the latest
boards provide.  But you're not looking there.]

  Going to the PII is probably simpler than AMD/Cyrix, but almost
certainly more expensive.  You may have to replace old SIMM memory
with DIMM.  You may want to replace your video card to use AGP,
especially if you have more than two or three old ISA peripherals.

David G