From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:36:08 -0700
On 19 Aug 99, at 16:00, Brad Boutwell wrote:

>  get a SCUZZY drive if possible as ther are faster...plus you can
> attach a Scanner to it.
>

> *************
>
> Not to be confrontational, but SCSI hard drives no longer provide the huge
> performance gain over EIDE drives that they once did.

  I'm not certain that the advantage in raw throughput on SCSI drives was
ever as great as the bus speed ratings suggested....
  However, you are still very likely to see significantly higher CPU
utilization with IDE/EIDE drives than with SCSI, and this may affect overall
system responsiveness if your other/foreground tasks are also CPU-intensive.
[In theory, UDMA should help mitigate this somewhat.]

  SCSI also supports a wider range of RAID options than EIDE, although these
typically involve even more expense for controllers....
  I would say that if your primary need is for volume, EIDE/UDMA provides
great price-performance -- I recently bought a 16GB drive for about $160.
But if you need overall system performance, AND DON'T MIND SPENDING MONEY TO
GET IT, the array of four 4GB UW-SCSI drives and a RAID controller that we
recently deployed on one server for about $1600 or so, total, wins.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html