Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:34:26 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I have an old packard bell multimedia c110. AMI bios 1992  1.00.05 dnoc.
>The problem is the port is disabled because the bios did not give it any resources. I have tried to change the resources in the device manager but it won't let. Is this a bios problem or is the motherboard shot. It is running 98se.  Thanks  Randy Chadwick
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                          http://freepctech.com

If you know how to get into that machine's BIOS, then I'd look there
(first) to see if the BIOS has one of the Comm Ports disabled.
Typically, in the older DOS based machines, the manufacturer would
disable, say, Comm port 2 when a plug in modem was installed. This would
leave Port 1 available for a serial device (common in those days) but
port two would be shut off so that the resource could be applied to the
modem. Trying to enable in Device Manager would be futile if BIOS has it
turned off.

Just my two cents worth.

Jean Bourvic

                     support at our newest website: