From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:35:45 -0800
On 28 Jan 99, at 14:06, Michelle Thuma wrote:

>  I am working on building a home network between two PC's. I bought
> Kingston 30bt's for both. The P II 350 with Windows98 installed it
> beautifully. The P 200 with Windows 95 installed it fine as well,
> but it seems to be having some trouble. When I boot both PCs to DOS,
> they talk to each other just fine. In windows, however, the Win95 PC
> can't seem to connect. I ran the card diagnostics, and it reports an
> IRQ problem, even though the Device Manager doesn't show anything.
> (Running the diag through DOS comes up with no problems).
>
>  I looked at my devices ordered by IRQ, and there is one other device
> using the same IRQ: IRQ holder for PCI steering. Does anyone know
> what this is, and would it be causing the conflict?

  This is a software "device" that enables multiple PCI devices to share
an IRQ.

  I'm not 100% certain, but I think that if you go into CMOS setup and
reserve the card's IRQ for "Legacy/ISA" rather than "PnP", that *may* tell
Windows that sharing this IRQ isn't an option.  That's what I would try
first, anyway.

David G