From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:45:55 -0700
As a user of "Virtual Machines" I might add some comments. I have used both
Virtual PC (now owned by Microsoft) and VMWare. Both products allow you to
install and boot any number of different operating systems in a virtual
machine. That is, the ROM and all hardware that the "guest" OS sees is
simulated by the VM software. It works very well and I used it often for
running Linux. I got tired of having to reboot to try out something for my
UNIX class that I taught. The virtual machine arrangement made things very
easy for me.

Another use of a virtual machine is that it isolates itself from you host
OS. I have used a virtual install of Win98 to try out the actions of a
virus. That way, I could see what the virus does without endangering my real
machine. After I was through, I just deleted the virtual machine
installation. Usually, however, I just use the VM to test out new software
to see if I like it before installing in into my regular machine. I can run
XP as a VM within my "real" XP installation.

Having stated some of the benefits, the penalty to be paid is that the VM
runs slower than if you create a multiple boot system. On a modern machine
with plenty of RAM (say 1GB) and a fast CPU (2GHz) the operation will be
quite good. In my experience, VMWare is a bit easier to use and seems to do
a better job. However, Virtual PC is by no means a poor product. Cost for
private use is about $120 - not cheap, but neither is it that expensive.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com