From:
Robert Zeoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:11:27 -0500
Thanks Mike for responding, I tried for two months to get the Barricade to work for me back in October-November of last year and sort of gave up.  The recent posting on it brought back the issue.  It is great just to hear that it works in for other people.
 This is how I had it set up (correct me if I'm done this wrong as I'm not a computer person).  Two WinMe computers, each connected with a straight through, cat 5, cable to the router.  Lights on both the back of the Pc's and the router were on.  Each computer can see the other after configuring the Barricade, (following the instructions).  The Barricade was then connected to an external USRobotics 56K dial up modum.  Initialy everything works including internet sharing.  Then after a few hours the internet no longer works, and the pcs no longer can share files.  If I disconnedted the Barricade and let it sit for an hour or so then it would all work again.  I contacted Tech support and they suggested I wait for the next patch (late Oct 01?)  and try again.  I did and applied the patch succesfully but got the same results.  I believe at the time I tried to ping the router after failure and did not get a responce.  I gave up on the issue as I was negativily affecting my and some elses productivity with the computers down at times.  I went to the ICS and a software firewall solution, which works most of the time, the barricades sits in the box under my desk.

Just Checking their website I find they released a new firmware  "v1.41.004:03/19/2002"  so I will down load that and give it a wack.

"For instance, once everything goes dead, are you still able to
retrieve a MAC address from your NIC?"  How do I do this?

"Can you ping the TCP/IP localstack (127.0.0.1)? Can you ping the switch? Can you ping beyond the switch?"  Can not ping the Barracade.  do not know about the local stack

"What brings it all back? Rebooting the PC? Rebooting ONE PC?
Rebooting the switch? Rebooting the dsl/cable modem?"  Letting the barricade sit for about 2 hours.

"Does the connect stay up without incident if you're NOT connected to
the switch?"  Does this mean does the barricade stay connected to the internet if the PC is not connected to the barricade?  If so how do I tell if the barricades internet connection is working?

What about tweaking TCP settings?"  Again sorry but I just followed the instructions and do not know enough to go any further.

thanks for you Help  Bob Z

RE:
Date:    Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:42:39 -0400
From:    Mike Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: re SMC Barricade Router

I know one always hates to hear this but the 7004ABR "works for me."

But seriously, I have read other very similar complaints about the
7004ABR. Some have tied it to a certain firmware upgrade. (But when
you revert to the original firmware, the problem does not go away.)

I bought one for a customer and it works flawlessly. I was concerned
for awhile, though, but it seemed that some folks got ABRs that
worked fine while others didn't.

I have a Belkin switch. It works. I won't say it's the best switch,
but it does work for simple sharing.

Another alternative is to install a second NIC in one ME machine and
use ICS or another sharing software router/gateway like SyGate or
WinProxy. I used Sygate for a couple of years.

For what it's worth, do you know what's actually failing? Have you tested this?

For instance, once everything goes dead, are you still able to
retrieve a MAC address from your NIC? Can you ping the TCP/IP
localstack (127.0.0.1)? Can you ping the switch? Can you ping beyond
the switch?

What brings it all back? Rebooting the PC? Rebooting ONE PC?
Rebooting the switch? Rebooting the dsl/cable modem?

Does the connect stay up without incident if you're NOT connected to
the switch? What about tweaking TCP settings?

Cheers,

Mike Whalen

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml