From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:30:58 -0600
From: Brad Loomis :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] SCSI drive install problems-
update

> First, a huge thanks to both Mary and Bill for the efforts in helping me
in
> this matter.
> Here is the latest info. This morning, I set each of the three drives, two
> Seagates and the one IBM as ID 0, terminated each, set the Cheetahs to
Term.
> Power from drive, as was suggested. I install each, one at a time, not at
> the same time of course, to see if there is a problem with an individual
> disk.  I tried to fdisk and format each individually. I am able to fdisk
ok,
> but when formatting under DOS 6.22, I get the message "Insufficient memory
> to read all system Information. Error creating the format recovery file.
> Disk cannot be unformatted. Abort, retry, fail?" It then proceeds to
format,
> ending with the message, "Not Ready writing drive C. Abort, retry fail?"
> Pretty much the same thing happens if I try to use a Win98SE boot disk. I
am
> able to fdisk, but the format doesn't complete. This happens on each of
the
> drives so I conclude that it isn't a bad drive.
>
> In answer to some previous questions, the drives are seen in the Adaptec
> Bios scan as well in the SCSI set up. The Bios version is 1.34.3. I am
using
> the two fan Bay Cooler from PC Power & Cooling. The Granite cable is 18"
> first drive, with two 12" segments following. I use a power plug right off
> the supply. I used individual power plugs off the supply when I did have
all
> three installed, so as to have the HD as the only load. So in conclusion,
> am not having any luck in being able to get this up and running. As I said
> before I did have the IBM running fine in conjunction with an IDE WD
drive.
> I should also note as an after thought, I do have a 50 pin cable running
> an internal Zip then out through the back plane to a scanner. The external
> 68pin connector of the host is empty as is required.
> Thanks again for all your help.
>
> Brad Loomis

Brad,

The drive that disappeared on me when my power supply was too small had a
similar problem.  I ended up Low-Level formatting the drive with the Adaptec
SCSI utility found in the bios of the 2940 Adaptec card.  I was then able to
partition the drive and reformat it.  Fdisk will not allow you to fix a
corrupted partition table.
If this is the problem stopping you from deleting partitions then a
low-level format may help.  Low-level formatting can take a very long time
so be patient even though nothing will appear to be happening.  If you
decide to try this, I would try it on one drive first and verify that it
will rectify your problem.

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html