From:
Anthony Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 11:03:27 -0400
Hello Chipo,  If all of your computers are running W2K or XP, then why not
purchase an inexpensive print server - here is one example for less than
$70:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=642734
Assign it an IP on your network then go to each PC and create a "local
printer" using a "Standard TCP/IP port" pointing to the print server -  and
that should take care of the problem.  This way you can avoid the
peer-to-peer issues you seem to be having.  If you have a small network,
then why not dump DHCP and give each PC a fixed address while you are at it.
HTH Anthony
========================
Subject: [PCBUILD] Printer sharing problem

> We have an HP 6L connected to a dell pentium 4 XP pro. The printer is
> shared to allow everyone in the department to access it. However very
> few computers "see" the shared printer reasons bieng that most computers
> on our have problems seeing each other. Or computers are in the same
> workgroup and either on DHCP or have static IP addresses. Someone
> suggested that we buy a network printer but the cost was quite
> prohibitive. How can we resolve this problem

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>