From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:33:40 -0700
On 19 Apr 2006 at 13:49, Venkat Viswanathan wrote:

> <<<<<It would appear that the ad is *implying* that you can do that, but you would not be legally licensed to do so.  You would need to buy a full version of the OS to properly (ie: legally) install it.
>
> Tony Mayer >>>
>
> in my opinion, in addition to the question of legality, it may not be possible at all to install the o/s with a borrowed cd, since there will be difference
> between the "KEY' contained in the COA and that of the "borrowed" cd.
>
> will be glad to stand corrected.
>
> ---Venkat

  There is no key on the CD -- just code that can tell a "real" key from
random garbage.  The CDs are all the same, and the COAs give each machine
its own distinct key.

  If you have a key, you can run the install.  If you call MS for support,
or use certain MS update/download services, and your key matches another one
in use, they'll have questions....

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml