From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:41:27 -0600
At 10:45 AM 4/25/01, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:
>Trying to get new install of Win98 going, computer freezes at startup.
>Clean boot not help, but will boot into Safe mode. The one line in
>config.sys, "DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DRVSPACE.SYS /MOVE" is
>disabled by the clean boot. No lines in autoexec.bat. SFC does not show
>any corrupted files.
>
>There are 31lines in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\CONFIG.SYS. Is this file
>related to problem? Similarly, there are 55 lines in
>C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\AUTOEXEC.BAT. Is this file related to problem? I
>presume the EBD entries were related to OS installation. Are these files
>necessary now? Are they harmful?

This troubles me in that you state this is a clean install, but you have all
these lines in your config.sys and autoexec.bat file.   If your system is
using drivespace or the hard drive is compressed, then I would rethink
this install.  Personally, I would tear out and replace the partition, then reformat
in order to remove the drive compression.   Then, I would clean install
Windows98.  At that point, you will have nothing in your config.sys and
autoexec.bat.   This is a clean install.  Once Windows is up and running
you can compress your hard drive again.

We have guides on our web site explaining all these steps, partitioning -
formatting - installing Windows98.   A clean install will not have the issues
you mention.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: