From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:05:09 -0700
Hi Joyce,

Once you get to the display properties advanced menu (right click
desktop -> Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced -> Monitor tab), there
is a check box "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". Make sure
this box is unchecked, and click OK, then see if the resolution you need
(1366 x 768) is available. If not, then at the minimum you need a driver
update for your graphics card. If your PC is an eMachines, then you need
to go to the eMachine website, not Dell or Gateway to get the latest
driver. If, after you are sure you have the latest driver, you still
cannot get to this resolution, then your video card cannot handle that
particular resolution and you would have to replace it (if possible), or
return the widescreen aspect (16x9) monitor for a normal aspect (4x3)
monitor.

Some lower end or older video cards cannot do the resolutions required
for newer widescreen monitors.

Russ Poffenberger

Joyce A wrote:
> The default screen resolution of the new monitor is 1366 by 768
> pixels, but the computer's own maximum preset resolution is 1280 by
> 768 pixels.  I tried the minimum pixel setting (800 by 600 pixels) and
> the pictures got worse -- stretched out more.  So I tried maximum, and
> the pictures were then squeezed up tall and thin!  I've been trying to
> obtain the URL where I can download the updated resolution drivers
> from the makers, only to run into a bunch of personnel at Gateway
> "customer service" who keep on telling me things I already know -- and
> who obviously don't know how to spell!  :::sigh:::
> Does anyone know if I can change those resolution presets without some
> kind of download?  If this thing isn't right by Tuesday, I'm going to
> pack the monitor into its original case, take it back to Best Buy, and
> trade it back for a standard monitor.
>
> Joyce in SE Ohio
> eMachines T 3104 with Win XP, SP 2, upgraded to a 160-gig HD
>

> Richard Glazier wrote:
>> Find out the default screen resolution for the new monitor and set
>> the Display Resolution to that in the Video Properties section
>> of the OS.
>> Your video drivers and video memory might not be up to that task.
>> Let us know how you make out.
>>
>> Rick Glazier

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml