From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 03:03:08 -0400
At 00:49 6/1/99 , Will Schmehl wrote:
 >Why does my system lock up when I disconnect from the ISP.
 >Doesn't happen but occasionally, enough to be a pain.
 >Ctrl-Alt-Del nor Esc will cure it. Reset or power off brings up
 >the scan disk on next boot up because of illegal shut down.
 >Final question. What is meant by soft shutdown?

Hi Will

Soft shutdown means that Windows can turn the computer off without
your having to touch the power switch. Instead of seeing a message
on screen telling you that it's now safe to power down, the computer
will simply turn off. This works if the computer has an ATX style
motherboard where power is controlled by the CPU. (The On/Off switch
for an ATX motherboard and power supply connects directly to the
motherboard...not to the power supply like with older AT style
systems.)

As for your occasional system lockups when disconnecting from
Dial Up Networking...

This was a common problem with Win95 up until maybe 18 months ago.
The problem is with older versions of the files Vtcp.386 and Vip.386
(the TCP/IP stack) which are located in the \windows\system folder.

Microsoft has released revised Win95 TCP/IP drivers (the two files
vnbt.386 and vtcp.386) which totally fix the DUN lockup problem.

The easiest thing to do would be to download and install these two
upgrades:
http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/VTCPUP11.EXE
http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/VIPUP11.EXE
Once you have downloaded them, click on them and VTCP.386 and Vip.386
will be replaced by the newer versions. These are not the latest
versions (the Winsock 2 upgrade contains later ones) but they solved
the "freeze on exiting DUN" that drove me crazy for months.

Another solution to your problem would be to download and install the
Winsock 2 upgrade. The URL for this is
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/bin/W95ws2setup.exe>.
This will replace the two problem files (as well as others) with later
versions for Windows 95.

Once you install this, you can download and install the very latest
Vtcp.386 and Vip.386 files (note that these require Winsock2):
http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/VTCPUP20.EXE
http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/VIPUP20.EXE

For more information, check out the update descriptions of all the
files that I have mentioned at this webpage:
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/downloads/LNP195.asp>.

You could even upgrade to Dial Up Networking version 1.3.
This installs a new TCP/IP stack and should fix your problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/MSDUN13.EXE

How far you want to go with these upgrades is up to you...but the
problem is completely fixed if you replace the old VTCP.386 and
VIP.386 files. (Before the updated files were available, people used
to suggest deleting one of these files. That never helped me with the
lockups.)

One last thing...These upgrades are for Win95 (any version). Win98
already comes with Winsock 2 and the latest Dial Up Networking.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>