From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:11:22 -0400
First question: Disable L2 cach in the BIOS, install, and turn it back on...

Second question:  Put the "extra" hard drive as Master on the second IDE ribbon
cable.  Set the BIOS for the Secondary Master to AUTO if the BIOS
will support the drive size directly.
Jumper the hard drive to Master with Slave present (if that is an option),
or just Master. (But not stand alone if that is an option...)

Set the BIOS for CD-Rom drive (Secondary Slave) to None or Auto (either
will work sometimes...)
Jumper the CD-Rom drive as Slave.

If the hard drive is too big for the BIOS to support it, write back to the list.

                 Rick Glazier

From: "Paul Ryan" <[log in to unmask]>
> I have a problem installig Win 98se on a freind of mines machine.  The
> installation goes well untill the end when the hardware is beeing setup at
> around 12min time remaining to compleate the install the screen goes black
> for a couple of minutes then I get a BSOD with the message that the disc on
> C can not be written on  data loss is probible.  I had this problem before
> he took it back to the guy he bought it from and he got it to install.

> Second question on a Quantum Firball hard drive does the jumper have to be
> set to SP (slave present ) with a CD ROM ? That isn't the problem I
> disconected the CD ROM and had the same results.  Any hints would be
> apriciated I'm really stumpt as I know that it is possible to install Win 98
> in the present configuration.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml