From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:34:15 -0800
On Thursday, January 13, 2000 4:23 PM,  "Walter R. Worth"
<[log in to unmask]> erroneously wrote:
> <snip>Second, do you have a "backup" copy of the registry on another
source
> of
> > storage media? If so, try importing/exporting it to your hard drive and
> > reboot the machine to see if it works. The problem you are describing is
> > IMHO, a corrupt registry. Third, if your computer is "functional", (tell
> us
> > exactly what do you mean by you can't "run" any programs in Windows?)
try
> > d/l the latest version of RegClean 4.1 and install it to see if it will
> fix
> > the problem for you without resorting to other third-party apps to fix
the
> > problem.  Failing any of the above recommendations, you "may" be better
> > served by reinstalling (if you can), just the OS. Please post your
answers
> > to the list so others can offer their suggestions as well.  HTH. :-)

<snip> (2) if you do have OSR2.x and are able to boot to MS-DOS mode (you
did say
> you could get to DOS), the following commands will rebuild your registry.
> One caveat, you must type everything perfectly.
>
> From the Windows directory, type the following DOS commands one after the
> other, pressing enter after each one.  When you have finished, restart
your
> computer.
>
> attrib -h-r-s system.* (Enter)
> copy system.dat system.bak
> copy system.da0 system.dat
> attrib -h -r -s user.*
> copy user.dat user.bak
*> copy user.da0 user.bak
> attrib +h +r +s system.*
> attrib +h +r +s user.*

Should read "copy user.da0 user.dat vice "copy user.da0. user.bak" after the
previous line, which is correct.  The phone rang and I took my eyes off what
I was typing.  Sorry. :-(

Walter R. Worth