From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 22:43:05 -0600
At 08:09 PM 8/6/99 , Steve Dias wrote:
>A friend recently purchased a new budget family PC from CompUSA, a Celeron
>400, 64 mb ram, etc., but no name on it besides CompUSA.
>I was helping him get it up and running when I noticed that in the bios, on
>the page that shows fan rpm and system temperature, there appears to be no
>CPU fan. It showed both fans rpm at 0, and the temperature was 149 F. We
>didn't have time to open the case to check, but is this normal, to leave out
>the cpu fan? Won't this kind of temperature lead to a shorter life? Next
>time I'm over there I'll check to see if there is a fan and it's just not
>connected.
>I was just wondering if this is standard practice on budget computers, no
>CPU fan.

Of course, I have not seen inside of this computer, but my best guess
would be that there is a heatsink/fan on the CPU.   It maybe faulty, needing
replacing or it may just not be connected to the motherboard, either
as an error during assembly or the connector came loose during shipping.

The one thing I would not do is continue to run the computer, especially
in light of the reported CPU temperature.  I would leave it turned off
until you open the case and check the power cable to the fan.  The fan
may have totally come off of the CPU in shipping and could cause other
issues.

No matter what else, I would immediately open the case and check the
fan.  Worse case in this matter is a new fan/heatsink at a cost of under
$20...   even though the system is under warranty, the nuisance of
going through the warranty procedures because you did not check the
fan is not worth it.

My opinion...

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc