From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 16:49:54 -0500
From: "Neville Valentic" :Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 1:48 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Computer not working???

> Hi all,
>
> I emailed some time back re: a system I put together that kept crashing
> during Win98 Setup.  I finally solved the problem by swapping the
> Gigabyte Mboard for an Asus board and slowing the CPU and memory
> frequencies to 90Mhz instead of 100Mhz.
>
> It worked fine for a week, during which time I even set it up to dual
> boot Win98SE and Linux.  I was using it the Saturday night before last,
> and when I finished I shut it down, went to bed and turned it on again
> Sunday and nothing happened.  Display wouldn't light up and no Hard Disk
> activity is evident.  It hasn't worked since.  I have tried replacing
> the PCI Video with AGP, and even put the whole system in a different
> case - to no avail.
>
> What would cause the system to die like this, when I used it the night
> before???  Note that there didn't appear to be any storm activity
> around.
>
> Any advice would be great.
>
> Thanks
> Neville Valentic

Neville,

You do not mention what kind of CPU and memory you are using and why you needed to slow down to 90 Mhz.  Are you overclocking this CPU and memory?  Also is this computer attached to a surge suppressor?

With more details someone on the list may be able to help out with trouble shooting your problem.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>