From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:19:53 -0600
There's nothing "bad" about a Celeron chip.  Intel has positioned that chip
as an entry-level processor, but its performance is still extremely good.
I'm tempted to say that the production costs are higher for a PII than for a
Celeron, but I'm not actually sure that is the case.  The most significant
difference between a PII and a Celeron is that the level 2 cache on a PII is
four times larger than that of a Celeron, so at a given clock speed a PII
will outperform a Celeron on CPU intensive operations.  Also, the Celeron
uses a 66MHz bus and the PII may use a 100MHz bus...although I'm not sure
about the PII 333.

Here's an example: I work in R&D at a networking company.  We just produced
an "all in one" Internet server that does all the usual stuff: email, web
serving, file serving, proxy, firewall, etc...and it runs on a Celeron 333.
Even with 50 users, the system uses only a fraction of the processor's
bandwidth.

Depending upon the use that you intend for your notebook, you may find that
the Celeron is a good choice.  In fact, unless your are performing torturous
graphical or numerical operations, you probably won't be able to tell the
difference in performance between a Celeron 400 and a PII 333.

So, my opinion on the Celeron vs. PII pricing structure is that it's just a
matter of marketing.

If your system was one of the first PII's to be produced it's unlikely that
a P3 will be a plug-in replacement.  But since Dell uses industry-standard
ATX motherboards, you're probably in luck...you can simply replace the
motherboard with an aftermarket board.  And since a good quality motherboard
is around US$100-125 (mailorder), it's a pretty economical upgrade.

Drew Dunn