From:
Mansoor Butt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:23:28 +0500
Hello All
                My hard disk has started giving bad clusters after about 20
months. It is a seagate 1.2 GB HD. First it gave 4 bad clusters (for some,
it said
the data was readable but after long delays). The next day I ran scandisk it
found more than 100 bad clusters. The same day in the afternoon again it
found
another 100 bad clusters. I wonder what's happening to it. It lost registery
data and could not start win98. Fortunately all the bad clusters were
located at the very end of the disk and not spread
through out so I partitioned my disk and left out the that area, formated
the new partitioned disk and installed software again. But now bad clusters
are coming in one of the partitions. What could be the problem?  I've just
upgraded to windows 98 and converted to FAT32. Could this be causing the
problem ? Should I return to 32 K sized clusters (FAT16). How can that be
done ? It would be sad because I gained about 150 MB disk space by
converting to FAT32. Is there any thing like logical bad clusters and
physical bad clusters? I thought bad clusters were always
physical. Can a virus be the cause of bad clusters ? Thanks for answering in
advance.

Also while formating I forgot to save my display driver. I have a sis 6020
display adapter. Can any one tell me where to find its driver on the
internet ? Thanks

Mansoor

(Note to moderator : This was the message. It was returned the first time
with the note that it could not be submitted becuase the format would not
look correct when posted. So I was asked to change to plain text and send it
again, which I did but did not see it nor recieve any replies. So now I am
sending it the third time. )