From:
Dave Littlehale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:48:03 -0500
John Chin wrote:

> At 04:18 PM 3/4/1998 Dave Littlehale  wrote:
> > . . .
> >I have the plain vanilla win 95 4.00.950, 32 MB Ram, a BIOS that is over
> >2 yrs old, and a Western Digital 1 GB HD with 24MB of free space.  I
> >have purchased a 6.4 GB Western Digital HD.

> Dave:
>
> To answer your inquiry, issue by issue:
>
> 1.  Drive configuration (BIOS)
>
> Do not use EZ drive if your BIOS supports LBA.

It looks like my BIOS supports LBA.  I set my new HD as the slave and
entered the hd autodetection.  The primary slave was listed with a size
of 6449 for a 6.4 GB HD and the mode was LBA.

> 2.  Drive positioning and Jumper Settings (MASTER-MASTER)
>
> I would put my two hard drives on separate IDE channels and
> make the IDE CD-ROM the slave on the secondary channel.
> Put your new, bigger and faster hard drive as the Primary master.
>
> If you have 4 IDE devices, partner the new hard drive with the fastest
> other IDE device (likely, your old hard drive). Jumper them Master/Slave.

Do I position them as Master-Master or Master-Slave?  The new HD would
be the primary; the old drive would be the other primary on the same IDE
cable as the CD-ROM (which would be the slave).  Correct?  This would be
a little faster than both hd's as Master-Slave?

> 3.  Partitioning (FDISK)
>
> First of all, partition your new drive in the computer BY ITSELF, alone,
> solo, with a WIN95b (SR2) Startup Disk. It's SAFER, and lets you set
> the Primary Partition active. When you go into FDISK, you get a
> menu that enables or disables LARGE drive (i.e. FAT32) partitions.
>
> If you stick with FAT16 (I would if retaining the original drive, assuming
> that, too, is a FAT16-er),

I am going to stay with FAT 16.  How do I do the partitioning?

Do I disconnect the old drive, connect the new drive and boot with my
Win95 start up disk?  When I get to an the A prompt, type in fdisk and
go through the menu?

> you need to partition your 6.4 GB drive into
> a Primary DOS Partition of less than 2GB and an Extended Partition
> with logical drives also less than 2GB.

I was thinking of making my Primary partition around 2 GB which would
have most of the major programs (win95, office95, netscape, quicken etc)
and making the logical drives around 1GB to hold the data files.  What
would you recommend?

> 4.  FORMAT
>
> Format the drive with Win95b (SR2) disk using the "/s"  ("system" switch):
>
>         FORMAT C: /s
>
> then, format the rest of the logical drives on the new disk.

Will this be the same with my original win95?  So, I will have to format
the Primary partition and all the logical drives separately by going
through letters C, D, E, F, G, etc?

> 5.  CLONE the system
>
> If you like your existing Win95a installation clone the drive

I will clone the drive.

> To clone the Win95a drive: Turn off the PC, reinstall the OLD drive as the
> BOOT disk. Keep track of your drive letter assignments. DOS assigns the
> drives: C: >>> Boot disk primary partition D: >>> secondary disk primary
> partition, then the Boot disk logical drives, then the secondary disk logical
> drives. . .

I'm not sure if I'm following you.  Drive C will be the primary
partition on the new hd; Drive D will be the primary partition on the
old drive; Drive E - ? will be the logical drives on the new hd?

> Boot into your existing Win95a drive with the normal desktop. Open a DOS
> WINDOW (no, NOT full screen DOS!)

So, I should enter win95 and go to a DOS prompt (not restart in DOS
mode).

> and enter the command:
>
>         xcopy  c:\*.*   d:\   /r /i /c /h /k /e /y

Out of curiosity.  What do the switches mean?

> Then turn off the PC and make the new drive the Boot drive; leave the old
> drive off for a while.

Should I disconnect the old drive?

> Reboot and confirm the new drive runs Win95a okay.

If it does, then what?  If not?

Do I need to do the following steps if I am cloning win95a?