From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:17:38 -0400
Add me to that list of people that have all the SMALL symptoms
described in that thread.  Especially how - more times than not,
Norton Disk Doctor finds problems with my Security descriptors
and Volume Bitmap... BUT ONLY on "C", my boot drive in NTFS.

You have to be careful letting Norton do things sometimes.
I have the obvious and noticeable lack of problems on other non-boot
drives both FAT32 and NTFS AND clones of this very drive installed
as a slave data drive.
Since there is no noticeable data destruction or corruption, I have
been monitoring it and making image backups more often - but
otherwise ignoring it...
Note: I always turn off write caching of drives, if possible...
It is a hazard I do not want to expose myself to...

The system has gotten a little unstable after a year, and I have
been able to correct the most obvious problem.
(Crashing MSOE6SP1 while writing e-mails was one such problem
for about two months...)

One main problem about "lack of messages" about this problem is
that it is very hard to describe, and even harder to tell how to fix...

In a nutshell, did forcing a Standard ACPI HAL fix all your problems?
And, how do you do that without a re-install?

                                                      Rick Glazier

From: "Peter Shkabara" <[log in to unmask]>
Here is a link to a discussion form that shows that there is a problem with
how Windows 2000 and XP shuts down on some systems that use ACPI.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com