From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:24:36 -0700
Good job. Enjoy!

Files with the name iexplore.exe have been used for several worms as
well as a legitimate and necessary Microsoft file.
See  http://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/iexplore.exe.php  There are
several other sites that I found that also mention this problem.

Make sure your AV is up to date and run a complete scan. Also, I saw
mentioned that AdAware can catch some problem uses of iexplore.exe.
Can't hurt to run a scan with that and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Also, run MSCONFIG and make sure there is no instance of iexplore.exe in
the startup list.

The Microsoft knowledge base also has a few items dealing with
iexplore.exe problems that you might want to review.

As to the modem, my folks are still on dial up and the highest speed
I've seen on their connection is 44.4 K. As you mentioned, a lot depends
on the condition of the phone lines. The two issues are likely just a
coincidence.

Tom Mayer

Joyce E wrote:
> Many thanks to all!  Well, <picture of me, dusting hands> I did it:
> upgraded by 512 meg RAM and now I have brilliant computer speed!
> Unfortunately, it did _not_ work to remove the memory read error, so
> if it's okay, I'll repeat the details:
>
> -------------
> DDE Server Window: iexplore.exe - application error
> --------------
>
> (Red X) The instruction at "0x1001cd11" referenced memory at
> "0x1001cd11".
> The memory could not be "read".
>
> Click on OK to terminate the program
>
> Now I could also wish the modem would perform better, but I guess that is
> not going to happen until we have better phone lines or a sat. uplink out
> here.  Our phone lines are from the Dark Ages, and the best speed I can
> get is 31.2 K!  This on a 96 K modem.  Are the two problems linked
> somehow? (Can you good folks tell I'm a complete tyro?!  <grin>)
>
> Joyce

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com