From:
Steven Walley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 01:38:19 -0700
Ray,

The problem could have been with the CDROM drive all
along. If you can, swap it for another one and see
what happens.

If you still are having problems putting a Win 95 install
directory onto the hard disk, you could use an external
Zip drive or external tape drive to transfer the files.
All you would need is a DOS boot disk and a simple program
that turns on the ZIP drive (like guest) or tape drive.

Steven

----         Ray Parrish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a friend's computer, and now I'm stumped. It's a Hewlett
> Packard
> Pavillion 7270 running at 166 mhz. It was tossing an error message
> "While
> initializing device IOS, windows protection error, you need to restart
> your
> computer", and it would then have to be started in safe mode.
>
> I researched the error on the Microsoft Knowledge base and checked
> for all of
> the things they said it could be with no luck, so I decided to do a
> re-install
> of Windows 95 on her computer to eliminate the corrupted device driver
> [since I
> didn't know which one it was].
>
> I made a boot floppy for the computer, and rebooted with it after removing
> the
> Program Files folder and when it booted to dos I deleted the .dat files
> in the
> windows folder then ran the install for Windows 95 from the cd rom.
>
> This all worked just fine untill Windows 95 did it's first restart.
> For some
> reason when it restarted it couldn't find the cd rom drive anymore!
> This kept it
> from installing the driver files for a bunch of stuff and generally
> created a
> mess.
>
> Sooooo, I thought, why not reboot from the floppy again, make a directory
> on the
> hard drive and copy the Win95 folder on the install cd to the hard
> drive? Guess
> again, now the cd rom can't be found when I boot off the floppy disk
> that I used
> for the install process which worked just fine before! It says "CD
> Rom not
> found" upon trying to load the cd rom driver in the config.sys.
>
> I opened the case and made sure the cd rom drive was plugged in good
> and tight,
> and checked the cmos setting to see if there was anything wrong there,
> but no
> luck there either.
>
> Got any idea why the cd rom drive should suddenly be unfindable even
> with the
> dos drivers?
>
> Thanks for any help you can be.
>
> Ray Parrish

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com