From:
Stephen F Nicholas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 21:59:48 -0500
Hello all,
  I saw the original message about the fire, but missed the WD40 issue.
Just went out to the garage and looked at the can.  It DOES state that
it's EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE.  ok.  How about my 3M oil?  It too contains
petroleum distillates (same as WD40), yet makes no mention of being
flammable.  Betcha it is.

  Should this be in a FAQ?  I've had two cpu fans start roaring and I just
replaced them, since they're cheap enough.  But....this poses a potential
hazard that might/must be communicated to people.

  I've subscribed to many lists over the years, but not to one that may
save lives.  Boy, this list is great!!!

Steve

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Frank Suszka wrote:

> Ryo Imamura wrote:
>
> My son's 200 MMX system has a PS fan that sometimes takes a
> little nudge
> to get going.  Once it gets going, it runs normally.  Would it be
> OK to
> squirt it with a little WD-40 or other lubricant?
>
> sigh Mr. Imamura, It is my opinion that you should advise your
> son to either replace the power supply or the fan. Recently on
> this list, we discussed the possibility of a computer fire that
> may have been caused by this sort of thing.
>
> If a better fan is available, replace the fan. One with bearings
> would be best. This would present the least problems. An over
> heating power supply, mixed with the lint it inhales is a
> potential fire hazard.
>
> If worse come to worse, replacing the power supply is an
> inexpensive insurance policy.
>
> I cam close to such a happening which I shared in a previous
> post. Please sir, be safe. A life may depend upon it.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Frank Suszka
>
>                                   -----
>          Bob Wright:[log in to unmask] - Drew Dunn:[log in to unmask]

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Help Center Services       |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| HTTP://www.gsu.edu/help    |                        |