From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:55:39 -0400
-----Original Message-----

Date:    Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:23:06 EDT
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: ctfmon.exe

_http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599_
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599)

I have a Dell 8400 running  Windows XP with SP3, also running free Avast
Anti-virus and Zone Alarm  with 2 GB's of 2048 Ram.  About a week ago I had
format, and  for some unknown reason, this ctfmon.exe constantly  appears
in my start  up.   It didn't do this at first, but now it does.  I have
taken
 it off again and again but it will not stay off.  In the above article it
says that is an MS Office product which I have NOT installed any of  them.

The instructions Google  gave in getting rid of it does not help... since I
can't find in the Control  Panel where it was installed, cause I certainly
didn't install anything  Office.  Harriet

(Sure hope I have sent this  to the right place)

------------------------------
The ctfmon.exe that I know and love (to get rid of) usually appears after a
fresh install of XP. For reasons I do not understand, it does not appear on
all installs (at least that I've done) but that may be due to different
install configurations on my part. In any case it seems to be attached to
the keyboard settings. Make sure that in "Control Panel/Regional and
Language Options/Languages/Details/Advanced" that "Turn off advanced text
services" is checked. Also make sure that in "Control Panel/Regional and
Language Options/Languages/Details/Settings" that there is only one instance
of a keyboard shown.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-ctfmonexe-and-why-is-it
-running/ has pictures showing what I am explaining.
Also here:
http://vista.blorge.com/2008/08/31/what-is-ctfmonexe-and-how-to-disable-it-i
n-windows-xp-and-vista/.

HTH