From:
Timchenko Maxim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 11:03:08 +0300
Is it so in the BIOS or in fact?

  If the fan setting shows 0, this means the fan is not connected to fan
socket _on_the_motherboard_! Most of the cheap makers don't bother and
power the fans from drives' power outlets. My front fan was wired this way
when it came - I rewired it because if a fan is powered from the drive it
won't shut down in standby mode.
  The temperature you measure is probably not a case temp. It is a CPU
temperature. I don't know what 149F is in Celsius, but the operating range
of Celerons is up to 80C and my Celeron-400 runs 43C at 400 and 49C at
450, and works o.k.

<> Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
<>

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Steve Dias wrote:

> A friend recently purchased a new budget family PC from CompUSA, a Celeron
> 400, 64 mb ram, etc., but no name on it besides CompUSA.
> I was helping him get it up and running when I noticed that in the bios, on
> the page that shows fan rpm and system temperature, there appears to be no
> CPU fan. It showed both fans rpm at 0, and the temperature was 149 F. We
> didn't have time to open the case to check, but is this normal, to leave out
> the cpu fan? Won't this kind of temperature lead to a shorter life? Next
> time I'm over there I'll check to see if there is a fan and it's just not
> connected.
> I was just wondering if this is standard practice on budget computers, no
> CPU fan.
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                     http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org