From:
"James E. Griffin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:39:17 -0400
Hard drives record information as magnetic 1's and 0's. With time, these
charges get weaker, unless they're periodically rewritten. Any
read-write activity is enough.

Problems can happen when certain bits are only read, such as the Master
Boot Program. There are any number of utilities that will periodically
"fix" read-only sections to make the disk work. Personally, I've used
Norton Utilities the most.

Run from a floppy, any such utility suite will make your older drives
boot.

Best regards,
Jim Griffin

--
Prometheus was the first Beta Tester.
Sisyphus was the Corinthian Systems Administrator.