From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:17:36 -0600
From: "Eric Greenberg" :Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Where's the ping? I found it

> >Just a note on ZoneAlarm and networks.  If  ZoneAlarm is installed on the
> >gateway computer, none of your other computers will be able to use the
> >internet through the gateway computer.  ZoneAlarm can be used on all
> >computers except the gateway computer connected to the internet.  You
will
> >need to upgrade to ZoneAlarm Pro, which does support networks, to install
> >ZoneAlarm on the gateway computer.
> >
> >Mary Wolden
>
> Mary,
>
> I hate to refute someone's knowledge on Zone Alarm, but this is just not
> true.  As long as you set Zone Alarm to allow all traffic from the
> computers on the LAN (by static IP or computer name), those computers will
> be able to access the Internet with Zone Alarm installed on the gateway
> computer.
>
> You have to do the above anyway if you want to share files and/or
printers,
> so accessing the Internet would be no problem.
>
> Up until six months ago, this is how I ran my network.  Only the gateway
> had Zone Alarm installed on it as the others computers sharing via NAT
> software are not visible to the Internet and therefore do not need
firewall
> protection individually.  It is still important to install Trojan/virus
> software on ALL the machines as a virus can still get through.
>
> I still run Zone Alarm as a backup but now I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router
> that blocks all incoming traffic from any computer on the network that
> hasn't asked for it.

Eric,

According to Zone Alarm support it will work with ICS that runs on the same
computer but not with NAT software on the same computer.  Check their
support page: http://www.zonealarm.com/support_za_ics.htm
I was running NAT so it would not work on my network, installed on the
gateway computer, even with IP addresses or computer names added to the
local zone.  As I remember, Zone Alarm 1.0 would not support ICS either.  If
you are running NAT then you will have to upgrade to Zone Alarm Pro to
install Zone Alarm on the gateway computer.  I had to many problems with ICS
and use Sygate on my network.  I could not get Zone Alarm 1.0 to work
installed on the gateway computer at all, with Sygate running on the same
computer.  It would not allow any computer except the gateway to access the
internet.

Mary Wolden