From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:40:05 -0800
First, I am surprised that a 16X CDROM is connected to a sound card.
Typically, this type of connection was a proprietary interface for the older
4X, 2X, and 1X CDROM drives.  I dare say, however, that nobody could really
answer you question without finding out exactly what kind of sound card you
have.  Do you still have the documentation?  That should tell if you can use
a different type of CDROM on that connection or not.  Also, most sound cards
with the mutiple connector option did not allow more than one CDROM to be
connected at a time.  This typically had to do with the IRQ and I/O Port
availability.  But, as I suspect that this is really an IDE or possibly a
SCSI CDROM, you might be able to get away with it.  Still, we would need to
know the type of sound card and/or what the documentation says.

The easy thing to do would be to get an I/O card and install it in an open
ISA or PCI slot (you can get both types), and install the new CDROM on that.
A standard EIDE card usually runs $15.00 to $20.00 (personally, I would get
one of the new Promise UDMA66 controllers and upgrade my hard drives at the
same time, but that only works if you are made of money).  Hope this helps.

Kyle