Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:27:29 +1100
I have few questions for win2k expert out there.

1) Does anyone know where I can find info on how much memory win2k would
require to operate? I'm asking because I'm investigating a memory "waste"
problem on my home computer. At work, almost all win2k machine I've
seen/built use about 40Mb to 50Mb memory (depending on hardware/software
add-on) by win2k itself, at home, my win2k machine use 70Mb to 80Mb by
itself, the only difference is I have a modem (external) and old HP Deskjet
500 printer, I also have adjusted few security policy (user account policy,
access on specified files/folders).
To make things more clear, I have some numbers here:
Worst reference machine (win2k pro, 128M RAM, Duron 800, AK33 mobo, SB live,
TNT2 Ultra, internal modem) - after boot up, task manager shows free
physical memory about 70Mb or more (50Mb been used).
"Normal" reference machine (win2k pro, 128M RAM, Duron 750-800, mobo based
on VIA KT133 chipset, SB live, nVidia family video card) - about 80Mb free
physical memory left after win2k.
My home machine (win2k pro, 256M RAM, Duron 650 overclock to 800, A7V mobo,
SB live, Geforce2 MX, external modem, HP 500 printer) - after boot, I have
70Mb (sometimes near 80Mb if running for a while) physical memory been eaten
up by win2k itself. There is a 20-30Mb memory waste! The problem is not the
my home machine has more "processes" loaded after boot, but for almost each
"process", it requires more memory than I saw at work.

2) At work, we have problems (driver problem?) with win2k and TNT2 Ultra
card (crash/unstable during 3D game test or other 3D test, eg run Q3 demo
loop 4hrs), I saw report that pointed TNT2 Ultra card has problem with
win2k, any one knows more, and possible solution?

This is question for winME:
3) We need recommendation on internal modem "works" under winME, customer
always report difficulty/problem if those two come together. Anyone knows
good internal modem that works?

Sorry for the long post and TIA for any input.

Jun Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org