From:
bobwarasila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:05:39 -0400
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] DIY project-How to partition for XP

> I'm wondering if Grub or Lilo (linux boot loaders) couldn't handle the
dual
> boot?  I have done this with win9x and win2k.  I haven't researched it a
lot
> but found one article that talks about XP and Mandrake.......am attaching
it
> below.
>
> *****************************
> Dual Boot Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 8.1
> By: Jason Young
> Open Waters Solutions
> www.openwaters.net/solutions
>

> How to install Mandrake 8.1 and XP on the same computer.
>
> What you need:
> 1. A computer with XP on it.
> 2. A cd copy of Mandrake 8.1
> 3. Partitioning program. I recommend Partition Magic 7.0 since 6.0 is not
> compatible with XP.
> 4. An hour or so of free time. (depending on the speed of your computer)
> 5. A few Dr. Peppers and some munchies.

George,

Thanks for the article.  Sounds as if I can procrastinate on the whole issue
of how to set my disk now by simply using PartitionMagic 7 when I'm ready to
play with LINUX.  I think I'll  just split the remaining space ~68GB into
two logical drives.   This just leaves me with the question about FAT32 vs.
NTFS.  The extended partition "wizard" is not giving me a choice, it insists
on NTFS even though the primary partition (C:) where XP resides is a FAT32
format.

Bob Warasila

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com