From:
K-KarlKuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:19:06 -0500
From: "Andrea & Bill Lee" <[log in to unmask]>

>     I plan to purchase the Acerscan 620U Flatbed scanner
this week, but
> before I did I thought I would inquire if anyone else has
this scanner
> and what their experience has been.

    I bought the Acer 620PT, which has the optional facility
for ostensibly copying 35-mm film strips.  Copying of color
photographic prints is fine, but it does a bad job with
35-mm positive film, which come out much too dark for
practical use.  The TextBridge OCR program (originally a
Xerox product) that came with it does such a bad job that it
would be faster retyping text material.  Xerox said it now
belongs to Scan Soft (www.scansoft.com), but Scan Soft did
not respond to my problem.
    When I bought my unit months ago through TigerDirect, a
$40 Rebate was in effect, but I have not yet received it,
nor have I received any answer to my inquiries.  The whole
thing smelled fishy when I saw that the Serial No. on my
unit was not the same as the Serial No. on the shipping box,
which had to be cut out and sent in with the rebate coupon
as proof of purchase.  Also, the Serial No. was unreasonably
large (the 24 characters were too large to fit on rebate
coupon) and its sole purpose appears to be to confuse
customers.  Since the average person registers equipment by
taking the serial number directly from the unit, the
difference in serial numbers between the box and the unit
allows them to void the rebate by claiming that wrong data
was sent in, yet you cannot send in the "right" data because
it was not printed on the box in the first place.

K. Karl Kuller            [log in to unmask]

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html