From:
Gorden McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:21:55 -0500
  The Following is a condensed copy from a GEOCITY site to see the full
document go to
  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/5704/dcc1.html

  Here is what I used

  For DCC, your serial port or parallel port is treated as your network
interface hardware. We are making a network with hardware that wasn't
originally designed for networking purposes, so it can be a little more
difficult to get going.
  First you need to install the Direct Cable Connection program. To do
this, go to Control Panel, then to Add/Remove Programs. From this window,
select the Windows Setup tab. Select Communications and click on the
Details button. Select the check box for Direct Cable Connection. Selecting
this will automatically select Dial-Up Networking if it is not already
installed.
  File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks will be how our host
computer shares network resources for the client to connect to.
  To install Client for Microsoft Networks, proceed to your Network
Neighborhood. This icon should be found on the desktop. If so, right click
on it, and select properties. (A double left click tries to browse the
network.) If there is no icon on the desktop, the icon can be found in the
Control Panel. From the Control Panel, you must double click the icon. From
the Network Neighborhood window, click on the Add... button. Next, select
Client, and click Add... From the following window, select Microsoft on the
left side, and Client for Microsoft Networks on the right side. Click OK.
The files will copy from your Windows 95 source disk. If you are prompted
to restart your computer at this point, click NO because we will be adding
some other components that also require a restart.
  To add File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks, the steps are
very similar except you will add a service. This is listed also listed
under Microsoft. Do not restart yet. After this service is installed, it
must be configured. To do so, click on the "File and Print Sharing..."
button from the Network Neighborhood window. Enable sharing for files in
the check box. If you wish to share your printer also, enable the box for
that. Other than the need to setup sharing, which I will address later
  For most people, it is easiest to use NetBEUI or IPX/SPX protocol.
       Setting up IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol
            From the Network Neighborhood window, click on the Add button.
Select Protocol,
             then click the Add button. Under the subset of Microsoft,
select IPX/SPX-compatible
             Protocol, then click OK.
       Setting up NetBEUI
            From the Network Neighborhood window, click on the Add button.
Select Protocol,
            then click the Add button. Under the subset of Microsoft,
select NetBEUI, then click
            OK.
       Setting up TCP/IP
            From the Network Neighborhood window, click on the Add button.
Select Protocol,
            then click the Add button. Under the subset of Microsoft,
select TCP/IP, then click
            OK. TCP/IP requires some additional configuration before it
will work with DCC. You
            will need to assign an IP address to your Dial-Up Adapter. Note
that Dial-Up Adapter
            is not equal to your modem. Assigning a static IP address to
your DUA does not affect
            the IP address of your modem when it dials in, and therefore
should not affect internet
            access. I went into more detail about using TCP/IP on the
following page: DCC with
            TCP/IP
  Following the installation of your protocol, you should define a name and
workgroup for your machines. The computer names must be unique on a
network, but the workgroups can be the same. (The workgroups should be the
same for simplicity.)
  To define the computer name, select the Identification tab of the Network
Neighborhood window. In the Computer Name field, enter in a unique value.
Numeric and alpha characters are permitted. I would suggest making it a
simple name like Bob and Rob. For DCC purposes it is simpler to make the
workgroups the same. If you are in an office where this shouldn't be
changed, that will be ok, it mainly affects browse lists.
  Go the Network Neighborhood window. From there, click on the Add button,
and select Adapter, and click Add. On the manufacturer side, select
Microsoft; on the right side, select Dial-Up Adapter. Click OK.
  Select the properties for the Dial-Up Adapter from within the Network
Neighborhood window. Select the Bindings tab. Check to see that your
selected protocol is bound to the adapter. Similarly, each protocol should
be bound to Client for MS Networks, and File and Printer Sharing. For
example, if you are using TCP/IP, you should go to the Network Neighborhood
window, and select TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter, then click Properties. Under
the Bindings Tab, both services should be selected in the check boxes.
  Enable Sharing
  If your host shares nothing, there will be little practical purpose in
making the connection. There will be nothing to do. After you have enabled
File and Printer sharing, and rebooted, you can right click on a drive,
folder, or printer while you are exploring, and one of the options in the
shell will be Sharing.
  In the next dialogue box, you specify a share name. You can keep things
simple. Share drive C: as C, and folder Windows, as Windows. You have the
option of making access read-only, or full.
  Running the Program
  Upon installation, the DCC program can be accessed via the start button
under: Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Direct Cable Connection. The
executable program lies under \Windows\Directcc.exe. It may be convenient
to make a shortcut to the desktop.
  When you run the program, you will have to specify whether it will act as
the host or the client. The choice is yours. Note that the host can't view
the files on the client, but the client can see all that is shared on the
host. The connection is sort of one way
  NULL PIN CONNECTION
  How my home made cable is layed out
            Parallel Port Pin Configurations
  1.DB-25 to DB-25 Parallel Pinouts
                                    Parallel Pin
                                    assignments
                                     DB-25
                                   1
to                                           1
                                   2
to                                           15
                                   3
to                                           13
                                   4
to                                           12
                                   5
to                                           10
                                   6
to                                           11
                                   7
Not Used
                                   8
Not Used
                                   9
Not Used
                                   10
to                                           5
                                   11
to                                           6
                                   12
to                                           4
                                   13
to                                           3
                                   14
to                                           14
                                   15
to                                           2
                                   16
to                                           16
                                   17
to                                           17
                                   18
Not Used
                                   19
Not Used
                                   20
Not Used
                                   21
Not Used
                                   22
Not Used
                                   23
Not Used
                                   24
Not Used
                                   25
to                                           25

  Hope this helps. I?ve tried both Serial and Parallel. Parallel seems
easier to use not having to sometimes disable a comport or modem.

  Later
  Gordon