From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:07:59 -0400
Have you tried a (THE) cable with 2) USB connections to the computer?
Some MBs (or computer cases) do not provide enough "juice" with the cable
supplied with the drive.
That would be my first step.

If it is actually not working, they "might be" a standard Laptop drive
inside, but someone else will have to tell you.
Depending on the age, it could have either interface.

I made mine with retired Laptop drives (less than a year old, upgrades)
and/or have a sealed Toshiba. (And a sealed Fuji, I think.)

In any case, (pun intended), they always work more dependably with the
2 headed power cord, OR a HIGH POWER (1000ma) USB port -Some
docking stations have them,  or a power "brick" (if there is an optional
input connector for it).  Some of my "empty cases" had that, and the Fuji
will take that if I buy it (additional), but comes with a "brick" socket to
USB cord "adaptor" since that was cheaper for them...

You are correct, POWER will be the biggest variable with a device
of this type.

Good luck,  Rick Glazier