From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:03:55 -0400
A couple of guesses, which hopefully aren't too far astray.  I see that the
XP1800+ is the newest and fastest processor that this motherboard supports.
MSI shows that this support is available as of the W6330VMS.360 BIOS.
Perhaps the BIOS that the motherboard came with is an older version that
doesn't support this chip, yet.  I also know that a number of Athlon
motherboards have some heat protection in that they will shutdown if they
don't detect a fan running on the motherboard's fan header.  You need to
have your CPU's heatsink fan connected to this header and it needs to be a
three wire fan, I believe.  (I don't know that this motherboard has this
feature, but it is easy enough to rule out.)  It looks like this motherboard
is equipped with some LEDs that light up is a certain sequence during the
boot process.  Perhaps you could observe how far the boot sequence goes by
watching these lights to see where things come to a halt.  Make sure that
the jumper for the CMOS is in the proper position to retain not clear data.
You might also look at the details of the memory that you are using.  The
board does support PC133 SDRAM, but some newer DIMMs are using larger and
fewer chips on them, which not all motherboards know what to do with.  I
tend to get confused by these memory descriptions myself, but perhaps you
could tell use what capacity DIMMS these are (e.g., 256mb), what their
"dimensions" or density are, and how many chips there are on the DIMM.  If
I'm reading MSI's website correctly 32m x 8 is the highest density that this
motherboard will support, which I think must refer to the individual chips,
since it apparently supports up to 512mb DIMMs.  With the above information,
others may be better able than me to help sort out whether the configuration
of your memory is a concern or not.

John