From:
George Philp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 21:36:51 -0400
A Lister wrote a couple of days ago, that they were having trouble getting
track info for CD audios they were burning. The following article from
Lockergnome Tech may have the answer and I believe this will be of interest
to other Adaptec users.

George

CD Burning Nightmares
Houston, we have a problem. The CD Database information (CDDB) that allows
you to toss an audio CD in your drive and automatically download the track
information no longer works in Adaptec EZ CD Creator 4 for the PC or Toast
4 for the Mac. How can this be? Well, it has to do with politics. CDDB.com
is now owned by Gracenote, and they have since shut off Adaptec
applications' access to the data because of failure to renew their CDDB
license agreement with Gracenote. Here's the message I received when I
tried this out using the copy of EZ CD Creator 4 that came with my notebook:
MSG: Adaptec's license to use the Gracenote CDDB(tm)
MSG: service has expired. For more information
MSG: please visit the following web site:
MSG: http://cddb.com/burners.html
To further complicate things, Gracenote has filed a lawsuit against Roxio
over alleged patent infringement, trademark infringement and breach of
contract. All of that hollering over CDDB technology, which would seem to
be the REAL reason behind the sudden axe in CDDB service for the millions
of Adaptec/Roxio customers versus the line we've been fed about licensing
issues. They aren't playing nice in the sandbox, and we're the bystanders
left picking sand out of our hair.
Roxio claims to be working on a fix for the CDDB problem, though nothing
has appeared thus far. The lack of flexibility on the part of the
developers appears to be pretty narrow-minded, being that you cannot choose
your own CDDB source, and now we, as paying customers, are paying for it
not with our wallets, but with the inability to use the application's full
functionality.
Now that Adaptec has spun off their CD/Audio products under the Roxio name,
you'll have to head to their site for updates. They have issued a second
attempt at fixing the nasty problem with EZ CD Creator 5 and Windows 2000,
so we'll see if they've gotten it right this time. If you haven't heard
about that one, don't install the Take Two option from that package! Many
users have experienced horrible consequences, requiring them to format and
reinstall everything. Something this major absolutely floors me. Windows
2000 has been released for over a year now, and this wasn't caught during
the beta process? Did they even perform beta testing beyond the confines of
their offices?