From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:02:32 -0700
I own a Monster I and I burned the first one up playing  the Hyperblade
game that came with the card. I only installed and played the game long
enough to see I didn't want it ...about 15 minutes...but that was long
enough to kill the card. I was directly told by  Diamond that setting the
Performance bar which is found in Monster 3D - Settings to Max is
considered overclocking the card. This is not mentioned in either the
documentation or the help files and I had done exactly that figuring it was
a minor setting and if my card couldn't handle it then it would not run
correctly.  Diamond did stand behind the warranty and exchanged my card for
a new one without any argument or delay. The whole process took six
days......not six weeks.

On the replacement card I have setup a 486 CPU fan to blow directly on the
chip and a digital indoor outdoor thermometer probe suspended above the
card to monitor temperature. Running a game will heat things up rather
quickly by 3 degrees Celsius. I don't know why they don't just put a heat
sink on there and maybe even a fan.

Mark