From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:33:52 -0700
>Three questions that I have for the list:
>
>1. Has anyone else experienced a failure where the audio is choppy and video
>running slow?

This can certainly be caused by a bad burner, but is usually caused by
media compatibility, or sometimes just a particularly poor blank. One way
you can avoid this, and increase compatibility with other stand alone
readers, is to, simply, drop the burn speed. This is true of CDs, and DVDs.

>2. I contacted the manufacturer already, but has anyone had luck replacing
>the firmware in such a situation?

If you can't re-flash then the flash chip is probably burned out. This is
why they warn you not to turn it off, and of all the associated risks
before you agree to flashing.

>3. Most important - a recommendation for a new DVDRW drive?

I would stay with Sony, NEC, Lite-on, Pioneer, and maybe Ben-Q if you want
to support Lightscribe. I am currently using a NEC 16X DVDRW DL
ND-3540A  which has been great, and a DVD-/+RW 16X BENQ DW1625 BK RT, which
I purchased to support Lightscribe, and I have had to return for replacement.

  Ben-Q is suppose to be the best for Light-Scribe. It hasn't been that
good to me, but that is what I've read. Lightscribe is kind of expensive,
and while it has it's uses, there is just no comparison to printing your
DVDs out on something like a 50 dollar, after sales, and rebates, Epson
R200 or 220 or above inkjet printer.

I also have  collection of older models, 4 speed, and 8 speed
Lite-ONs  which have been trouble free, and a old 4 speed Sony which has
been a fantastic workhouse. Never had a bad burn with the Sony, supports
everything, looks great, and is currently still doing it's job in my Linux box.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads