From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:47:23 -0800
Susan, I got an APC Back-UPS Pro 1000 for my own system. It has shutdown
software capability, although I don't use that feature. The computer is
on only when I am there, so automated shutdown is of no benefit to me.
Since I now have an LCD monitor, the 1000VA capacity will power my
computer for probably an hour or more - when the power goes off, I keep
right on working! The 1000VA cost me about $300.

One problem I can share with you. Most of these UPS devices are of the
"standby" variety. This means that they kick in when the power goes out.
I recently had an incident where the power did not go out, but
flickered. The ups did not kick in since the power did not drop out long
enough, but my monitor locked up and I could not see what I was doing.
Needed to reboot by pressing the appropriate keys without seeing what
was happening. My monitor was in digital mode and is a bit
temperamental. The point is that a standby ups will not protect you from
flickers. For that you need an inline ups, but those are more expensive.

Good luck.